Tag Archives: Homebrewing

First Rack of Plum Wine

I finally moved the plum wine from the primary bucket to the glass carboy the other day.

It was a little messy. I suggest not doing this task near a carpet and wearing an apron or old clothes and shoes.

I sterilized my tools and the carboy with a mixture of bleach water. I had some bleach and I didn’t want to go buy another item. I’ve already invested more into this than I want. I’m a frugal person.

I then had to scoop the wine out of the primary bucket, strain it, and let it drip through the funnel into the carboy. The top portion of the bucket went quickly but when I got to wear the plums had settled it was way more time consuming.
I started straining it back into the primary buck so I strain bigger batches. Once I got the majority of the plums out, I went back to straining it over the carboy.

I have a lot less wine than I thought I would. I was talked into buying a 6 gallon carboy and it’s only a little more than halfway full. Plus, there is a lot of sediment at the bottom already. I think I’m going to rack it monthly.

Next month, I’ll need to buy a 5 gallon carboy and a racking tube. Next year, this will be more cost effective. At least that’s what I keep telling myself!

Advertisements

Adventures in Making Plum Wine: Day 2

Twelve hours after adding the acid blend, pectic enzyme, tannin, nutrient, and energizer to the plums sitting in room temperature water I got to add the yeast. I actually added the yeast a bit more like 24 hours later. If it gets messed up because I added the yeast too late, oh well, this is my adventure and I get to be in charge of screwing it up. lol

I dissolved the packet of yeast in a 1/4 cup of warm water and then stirred it into the primary bucket. I covered it back up and now we get to wait about a week before straining it and moving the plum “wine” to a glass carboy.

Adventures in Making Plum Wine: Day 1

Yesterday, I filled a six gallon bucket with plums.

Six Gallons of Plums copyright 3MoonMama

Six Gallons of Plums copyright 3MoonMama

Our poor plums have been ravaged by coddling moth and the tree had too many fruit making the plums small. It was quite an effort to half and stone each one. I had to throw out a ton because they were super icky when they were cut open. It took me hours to get enough plums to make about 20lbs of useable fruit. I actually have a bit less than 20lbs of plums but I don’t really care. I am so done with plums (and there are still more on my dang tree)! haha! I even watched a couple of movies and took a seat after the first hour of work.

Close-Up Six Gallons of Plums copyright 3MoonMama

Close-Up Six Gallons of Plums copyright 3MoonMama

I added two stock pots of boiling water last night and left some room at the top of the bucket because the recipe is for five gallons and I am using a six gallon primary bucket. I may have to add some more sterilized water at some point because there may not be five gallons in there. I just eyeballed it.

Halved and Stoned Plums and Water copyright 3MoonMama

Halved and Stoned Plums and Water copyright 3MoonMama

This morning I mixed in the acid blend, pectic enzyme, tannin, nutrient, and energizer. Whirlwind helped to stir and measure.

copyright 3MoonMama 2013

Mixing in the ingredients copyright 3MoonMama 2013

Mixing in the ingredients copyright 3MoonMama 2013

Now we wait 12 hours to add the yeast.

Wish us luck!

Recipe: Making Plum Wine by Hip Chick Digs